Digital devices offer so many benefits to us in the way that we can communicate with each other, in an instant find out anything that we might have an interest in, or simply book tickets for a concert. But this technology has brought some negative behaviours out in both Adults and Children.
You may have on occasion been unable to escape the glow of the screen as you looked over your Social Media page or text friends or family. Outside of the bad posture we all seem to be developing from leaning over in to the device, for many they just cannot put it down.
This really becomes an issue for parents who are attempting to discourage the over use of devices with their own children. Parents need to take the approach of Heal Thy Self. A child will never listen to a parent who displays bad example when it comes to spending all their own time with their face buried in the device. We have even had stories recounted to us from parents who are unable to rise out of the bed in the morning, unless all of the Social Media pages have been accessed and then on to the News sites.
Tips for Parents
- Parents and children should limit the time that they spend on a device
- A child should never be permitted to take a digital device to their room where it can be used for an unsupervised
- Parents should enforce a ban on digital devices at meal times and up to 2 hours before bed time as the Blue light from the device can interfere with sleeping patterns
- There should be a central charging point in the home for all devices at the same time, to prevent the zombie family experience of everyone sitting in a room face down in a device
- Parents need to show good example when it comes to their use of devices
- Most importantly, get active and get out. Leave the devices at home for a few hours and rediscover the art of being social and conversation